Monday, October 22, 2007

300 word story (final)

The anxiety of pressure filled my mind with negative thoughts. I fought for my voice despite the echoes of comments made by my underachieving parents. This time I would show them, so that when I looked into the once dreadful mirror I would no longer see failure written across a helpless face.
“You’ll do fine. You were meant to do this.”
I let Kelly’s words sink into my trembling heart. Up until this point nerves were just things that I had heard about. I tuned out all of my competition and just focused on myself. Time seemed to drag on like a teenagers anticipation of adulthood. With every given second my nerves started forming minds of their own.
“Carrie you’re on in five.”
The stage managers words sent my nerves into a wild frenzy. At this point my entire body was shaking uncontrollably.
“Ok Carrie, sing it just like you practiced in front of me and you’ll be great.”
Sweet Kelly always had something good to say. But not even her words of encouragement could calm my torturous nerves.
“Carrie you’re on!”
I took a deep and headed towards the stage. The curious glares of strangers made my body tingle as if I were glowing. I tried to convince myself that I would do great. After all I couldn’t let my parents be right. Almost sending my body into shock my music began to play. At that very moment I felt an adrenalin rush go to every limb of my body. I was, for that moment, confident. At the sound of two familiar voices I glanced out into the audience. I quickly dropped the mike and ran off stage. My parents my have won the battle, but they hadn’t won the war.

No comments: